Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Morin Khuur

I posted the video from the Morin Khuur players a while ago, but I did not fully explain the significance of the instrument.

I am learning to play it.

The morin khuur (said like "more-EEEn Hor") is the national instrument of Mongolia. I won't go into describing it, because you can see it below in the video. I will also post pictures of mine soon.

Yes, mine! I am the proud owner of the hardest instrument I have ever played. Why is it hard? First of all, the darn thing hurts to play. If you number the fingers on your left hand (pointer=1, middle=2, ring=3, pinky=4), you play 1 and 2 fingers by placing cuticle against the string, but 3 and 4 by pressing perpendicular to the strings. The slightest movement of your finger shifts the sound, thus I find myself not only exerting an unnecessary amount of force against my fingers, but also completely aware of the tenderness of the cuticle! Add sliding your fingers up and down strings, while exerting this force and aware of its pain and you’ll find yourself questioning exactly how good of an idea it was for you to learn to play.

Play a scale perfectly (after being shown only one time) and have a famous morin khuur bagsh (teacher) tell you he’s completely impressed with you, and you stop questioning.

It’s a beautiful instrument. It makes a beautiful sound. And learning to play an instrument central to a country’s culture is almost as powerful as learning to speak the country’s language, only more powerful. When I became a student of an instrument like the morin khuur I felt like I made the proclamation that I deeply respect Mongolian culture and was taking a risk by asking to be taught, a request which could be rejected. Rather than a moment’s hesitation, I was received as a student.

I take lessons twice a week, and will leave here with a total of 8 lessons.

I interviewed the morin khuur maker, finding out that the place where I signed up for lessons was in fact his own store and that Eiderbat Bagsh was his friend. I explained that I wanted to buy an instrument because of these lessons, and he offered to bring me a selection of morin khuurs to my first lesson. Sure enough, he showed up, last Thursday and he along with Eiderbat Bagsh picked out the most beautiful morin khuur…for me, an American.

I will have my third lesson on Thursday.

Every time I play the morin khuur, I feel more integrated into this culture, this land, this way of life.

…here’s hoping I can learn some songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment